There’s no doubt that Facebook is one of the best channels for marketing your products. In their 2018 Internet Trends Report, venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins reported that 78% of respondents aged 18-34 said they discovered a product on Facebook. Majority (55%) of their respondents aged 18-65 bought a product online after discovering it on one of the social media platforms.
But most people who discover your product on social media are not yet ready to buy. In fact, in Kleiner Perkin’s study, only 11% bought the product immediately, while a whopping 44% bought the product later on.
So imagine if you have been spending thousands of dollars on Facebook ads but you’re not retargeting people who hjave clicked your ads, visited your Amazon page, or added products to their cart but did not complete the purchase. You’ve been leaving a LOT of money on the table.
Facebook retargeting is a very powerful and cost-efficient digital marketing strategy that can really boost Amazon sellers’ ROI. Instead of showing your ads to random users, you can ask Facebook to zero in on people who are more likely to buy your product.
To start retargeting on Facebook, you’re going to need the Facebook pixel, a code you can install on your website, landing page, or other pages.
In this article, I’m going to show you, step by step, how to add a Facebook retargeting pixel on your Amazon product pages using JotURL.
JotURL is an advanced all-in-one suite that lets you easily track the performance of your marketing links. This way, you know which marketing channels are generating the highest sales, and you can focus your retargeting campaign on those platforms. Scroll down to the bottom of this ultimate guide step by step for some growth hacks using JotURL’s Easy Deep Link and advanced Retargeting features.
What You Will Need
For this tutorial, you will only need:
- the link to the Amazon product page where you want people to be redirected when they click on your ad;
- your JotURL account; and
- your Facebook pixel.
How to Create a Facebook Pixel
If you don’t have a Facebook pixel, follow these steps:
- Go to your Facebook Ads Manager.
- Under the Measure & Report column, choose “Pixels.”
- On the left column, click “Add New Data Source.”
- In the drop-down menu, click “Facebook Pixel.”
- In the next window, type in your Pixel name.
- Click on “Set Up” on the upper right corner. Then select “Install Pixel.”
- Choose your preferred method for installing the pixel code.
Facebook will then send you instructions based on your preferred installation option. You can check out this video for more information.
How to Use a Facebook Retargeting Pixel for Amazon
Step 1. Create a Tracking Link in JotURL, of your Amazon page
To discover how to improve your Facebook Retargeting campaign read these steps:
- Go to JotURL and click on the “+” sign beside “Tracking Link.”
- In the next window, enter the URL of your Amazon product page. Avoid linking to the Amazon home page, as you have better chances of increasing your conversions by directing traffic to your product pages or to other specific pages.
- Click “Save.”
- Alternative way: once you’re on your Amazon product page, leverage the JotUrl’s Chrome plugin (directly within your Chrome browser) to create your branded tracking link. If you’ve not installed the Chrome plugin yet, you can download it at jo.my/chrome_plugin
Step 2: Add a remarketing code in JotURL.
- Click on the remarketing section found on the upper left of your JotURL dashboard.
- Click on “Add your remarketing code.”
- In the next window, type a name for your remarketing code.
- Click the drop-down menu under “Select a remarketing pixel type.” Click on “Facebook Pixel.”
- Then copy your Facebook Pixel ID in the box provided.
- Hit “Save.”
You can also watch JotURL’s video tutorial here.
- As an Amazon seller and advertiser, it’s a must that you know which digital marketing channels generate the most money for your store. This way, you can boost your marketing budget on those channels (ex., Facebook ads) during your Facebook retargeting campaign.
To be able to attribute conversions to specific marketing campaigns, Amazon sellers can use the JotURL’s advanced UTM builder feature (including the ability to create UTM templates you can apply to multiple tracking links). Follow the steps in this video and make sure to set the UTM parameters before starting your campaign.
Step 3: Create your Facebook ad.
- Go to your Facebook ad manager and create an ad.
- In the destination URL, insert the JotURL-generated Amazon page link.
Step 4. Build a Facebook retargeting audience for your Amazon visitors
- In your Facebook ad manager, click on “Audiences.”
- Select “Create a Custom Audience.”
- Then click “Website Traffic.” to discover how many website visitors have already interact with your content.
- In the next window, choose “People who visited specific web pages.”
- Under URL, select “equals.” Enter your JotURL-generated Amazon page link.
- Type a name for your audience, then click “Create Audience.”
- You can choose to expand the number of days people remain in your audience up to 180 days. This means that your website visitors within that period will be included in your retargeting campaigns.
- You can also use “Custom Audience” to exclude people who already bought your product. Your customers might get annoyed if they keep seeing ads for products they’ve already purchased.
Step 5. Create Your Facebook Retargeting Ads
- When you’re ready to launch your retargeting campaign, go to your Facebook Ads Manager and create a new Facebook advertising.
- After setting up your ad account, Under “Audiences,” choose “Custom Audiences” and select your Amazon audience.
- Insert the JotURL-generated link of the page where you want to redirect your audience. You can either send them to a landing page (with a very attractive offer) or to the same Amazon product page.
For information, we would like to remind you that it is not possible to insert a Remarketing Pixel within Facebook Ads. No Remarketing Pixel, not even those originating from Facebook itself. This limitation is imposed by the social platform and it is therefore impossible for JotUrl to bypass this regulation.
The link inserted in the Facebook ADS must therefore not be associated with any kind of pixel or even a Deep Link, even in this second case – in fact, Facebook would remove the ADS.
Instead, it is possible to use Remarketing Pixels and Deep Links on a landing page created specifically for them. We recommend the use of a different domain from the one used in the link within the Ads, so that the Facebook engine cannot in any way connect the ADS to the landing page where you have inserted your conversion pixel.
You can find more information at this link.
Bonus Tips: Growth Hacks
a. Use Easy Deep Link to increase mobile conversions
With more and more customers using their mobile phones to shop, you need to make sure your marketing or retargeting campaigns and tracking are optimized for mobile too. Here’s why.
Scenario 1: Customers click on your ad and they are asked to log in through their browser, which may frustrate customers especially if they already have the Amazon app on their phones.
With the Easy Deep Link feature, Amazon customers are directed to the app so they no longer have to log in using their browser.
Scenario 2: A customer using the Amazon app clicks on your ad because they want to buy the product featured in that ad. But they are directed to your store’s homepage, not the product page.
This is a mistake many Amazon sellers make. This can decrease their conversion, as potential customers might not want to waste time looking for the product they saw in the ad, or they may get distracted and check out other stores instead.
JotURL’s Easy Deep Link feature directs Amazon app users straight to your product page (i.e., the reason they clicked on your ad in the first place). This improves your customer’s user experience and boosts your sales.
If you want to increase your mobile conversion, you might want to start maximizing this JotURL feature by following this tutorial.
b. Use Easy Deep Links to Retarget Mobile Users
Offering discounts to Amazon customers can help increase your traffic and sales. But did you know that you can also retarget telephone users who clicked your Amazon coupons and promo codes?
To do this, use JotURL’s Easy Deep Link feature to generate the links and give these away to mobile users via Telegram communities or other mobile messaging apps. You can send your custom audience straight to your Amazon product page, and if they don’t buy or abandon their shopping cart, you can retarget them in your next remarketing campaign. And you can do this also without their phone numbers.
c. Use One Tracking Link for Up to Five Remarketing Pixels/Codes
If you want to remarket to potential customers in other platforms (such as Google, Pinterest, Twitter, LinkedIn, Bing), JotURL allows you to add up to 5 remarketing codes or pixels in 1 tracking link.
Improving Your ROI through Retargeting
As an Amazon seller and digital marketer, I want to make sure my ads are being shown to people who are most likely to buy from us. This way, I can increase our sales without exceeding our marketing budget.
You can do the same for your store. Instead of running cold ads, focus your budget where it’s most likely to generate better results. Retarget people who already showed interest in your products, or who already visited your website, by clicking on your Facebook ads or discount codes. By nurturing these potential customers, you can keep your store at the top of their minds until they are ready to hit the “Buy Now” button.
Did you enjoy this article? You may be interested in this article: “The easiest way to create a Deep Link to Facebook”